Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Tomato Time (Or, The Limits of My Camera's Focus)

Helped put some tomatoes in the ground at the garden (Growing Gardens, Boulder, CO) the other day, and picked up this trick: pluck off the early flowers and branches bearing baby tomatoes, as well as the first three branches up from the bottom (three is a guess). Then plant almost to the bottom remaining branch (deep!). This way the plant can focus on setting strong roots, which will grow out of where those lower branches used to be.

The itsy tomatoes were precious--too bad the cam couldn't handle the extreme close-up that I wanted. Oh well, these will have to do.

1 comment:

bazu said...

These tomatoes are so precious! I'm about as far away as you could get from a green thumb as possible (gardening is always a work in progress for me!), so I'm really interested in this tip. Are you saying you should trim the tomato plants and then dig them up and replant them? Or am I totally misunderstanding? Thanks!