Thursday, June 21, 2007

Seaweed!

Dulse, to be exact. I've been meaning to up my sea vegetable intake ever since I got the chance to harvest some straight off the rocks in Maine last summer. A stirfry seemed (and proved) an easy route.

Dulse is a great source of iron, trace minerals, protein, vitamins B6 and B2, as well as fiber. I'm mostly attracted to the color, the healthy bit is just a bonus. You do have to like that fishy/sea taste, though.

The gist of the recipe is from the Maine Coast Sea Vegetable Company (you can also order sea veggies from their site, and rest easy that they are sustainably harvested). Maybe someday I'll work up to the "DLT" or "Dummus"...

This meal was also a last chance to eat "local" in Boulder, CO before heading to the Northwest.

Camera has a (tepid) love affair with seaweed here.


No comments: