Friday, August 15, 2008

Joy's Enchiladas

This recipe is easy--even I could do it! I was sure, too, that my version just wouldn't be as good as Joy's. But credit the simple recipe, it's nothing if not trustworthy. I did feel like a bit of a jerk for using canned tomatoes when there were fresh ones on the vine, so I threw some diced in between the layers, and the next time I made the recipe I did a combo of dicing and blending fresh tomatoes to substitute for the canned--yummier, of course.

Enchiladas de Joy

1 2/3 C pinto beans, uncooked
1 C rice, uncooked
2/3 C onions, diced
1 t garlic, minced
1 t cumin
1/2 t coriander
1/4 t chili powder
2 10-oz cans tomato sauce
12 corn tortillas
1.5 C corn
4 C monterey jack cheese

Soak beans overnight, cook until tender (1 hour abouts). Cook rice. For sauce: saute onions, add spices and tomato sauce. (If you like spicy, you'll need to add that--this basic recipe isn't). Simmer until hot. Combine beans, rice, and sauce. In greased 9 x 13 pan, layer tortillas, rice and bean mix, corn, and cheese. Repeat. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serve with salt and pepper.

No comments: