Friday, October 17, 2008

Which Apple Variety Are You?

That may be one of the last potential personality test questions that isn't already an internet quiz (really? which smurf am i? i did succumb to the supervillian quiz, though: Poison Ivy, with Mr. Freeze in second (who is that?)).

These photos are from our last visit to the orchard (sad). One of the many great things about these trips was the chance to try the different varieties of apples--I've got to start making up for all the time I lost on Red Delicious! Here are some sites I dug up on apple varieties:

This one's great for the sheer number of varieties it mentions. Try this one for deciding which apples will suit your purpose, this one for which varieties to plant in your backyard (US only), and this one's probably redundant but I liked it. Oooh, this one has photos.

I was pretty proud of myself for breaking free of the Gala mold and adding tarter varieties like Macoun and Empire to my favorites list, but one of those sites lists them both as "sweet". Guess I'll have to try harder.


No comments: