Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sushi Inspiro

Sushi Night! Veggie sushi, that is.

Served with tamari, gomasio, and wasabi. Turns out that most of what's sold as wasabi is actually horseradish, mustard, and food coloring. MMm, mmm, Blue #1 and Yellow #5, my favorites. These folks think it can't compare to the real thing, but I'm guessing that would be too hot for me as well.

Since my participation in sushi nights centered on cutting the insides (any combination of peas, carrots, radishes, cilantro, avocado, beets, tofu, etc), I have no insight on the rolling, but I've seen it done sans
bamboo-mat, so don't let the lack of one stop you.

I was hoping to find an article on how to build your own sushi roller from recycled chopsticks or shishkabob sticks, but no luck on that front. Instead, I was met with this contraption.

The recipes I've seen online add vinegar and sugar to the sushi rice, but I'm sure that we didn't add sugar to ours, with no noticeable effect. Then again, what do I know--this was my first time having sushi (unlike this lucky kid).

For why not to substitute brown rice and other tips, check out the PPK's take on vegan sushi.

No comments: