Sunday, June 15, 2008

Damned If You Dough, Damned If You Don't

Chives. Have no idea how to use them. The examples I've seen involve dairy products that I remain distrustful of: sour cream, cream cheese, you know the type. But their flower is gorgeous, so I'm using them as the photo for this post, on cookie dough (the brownie batter got me thinking...)

I make a lot of cookie dough. Much to the chagrin of roommates past and present, I am not inclined to bake this dough. This dough is for eating. If you're making some dough with this purpose in mind, read on (because i'm not actually sure that my recipe makes better baking cookies).

Though I'm currently a food snob in training (eh, most of the time), and prefer Ghirardelli chips or Scharffen Berger chunks, I grew up on Nestle chocolate chips. That's the recipe I have memorized, that's the one I always make (usually just a half recipe). My new favorite uses less butter and less sugar, for a thicker and less grainy treat:

Dry
1 1/4 C AP flour (or 50/50 with whole wheat)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2-1 t salt (depends if your butter is salted, how much salt you like)

Wet
1/4 cup and a little extra sugar
1/4 cup packed and a little extra brown sugar
6 Tbs butter (1 stick is 8 Tbs), melted enough to mix
1 t vanilla extract (or to taste)
1 egg

Chocolate-- quantity and quality left entirely up to you. I don't judge (well, okay, if you didn't put any chocolate in I would judge you).

Stir Dry together in a small bowl. In a bigger bowl, mix Wet. Add Dry to Wet, mix well, add chocolate. Serve immediately. Stores quite nicely, covered, in fridge for a few days. Bake only if necessary. (*chocolate photo credit: Kim Sue, 2005)

No comments: