Saturday, June 7, 2008

Black Plastic:The Devil Within

We're not supposed to like black plastic. It's high on the list with diesel fuel and water usage, heated greenhouses in winter, and corporate seed distributors. Sustainable ag-ers deal with it in various ways; here in Wisconsin we've met some who were apologetic, but see it as necessary, some who are trying the new "compostable" corn plastics, and a few who do without, using a heavy straw mulch or covercropped aisles instead.

But the black plastic is seductive. After we were done, I found myself drawn to photograph the straight rows (beginner's luck!), the sheets reflecting the clouds above like some strange sea. With any luck it'll have become prohibitively expensive by the time I'm in a position to make the call--I don't trust myself one bit.

Here's a link to what I'm calling Black Plastic Brownies. Mostly because they were the only thing I could think of to mimic the rows with (not because you should feel guilty about eating them, i don't support that ridiculousness). They came out a little cakey and dry for my taste, but the batter was yummy, I'd consider serving it as a mousse.

No comments: