Saturday, April 5, 2008

Can You Dig It?

No, it's not a creature from the deep--it's Valerian root! We spent a few hours digging roots this week, so I thought I'd mention this powerful plant. Valerian is a hardy perennial whose root has sedative and nervine properties. Used for insomnia, anxiety, migraines, muscle relaxation and epilepsy, valerian's relaxant and mood-stabilizing action (in appropriate doses) hasn't been found to be addictive like narcotics or lose it's effectiveness over time. Here's a great post from the Herbwife's Kitchen to help you decide whether valerian might be supportive for your sleep quest. While I've heard the scent called disagreeable, it reminds me of those strong, musky flowers, that smell pleasant, but almost repulse you from the sheer thickness of the smell (it was used as a perfume in the 16th century, according to Wikipedia). In some versions of the legend, the Pied Piper uses valerian as well as his pipe to attract rats; it's a known cat attractant, too--and this effect was used as a clue multiple times in Agatha Christie novels. I've never used valerian myself--anyone got stories?

No comments: