Saturday, December 1, 2007

Is it that Thyme again?

The weather's been a bit odd in Chicago this year. It didn't get cold until fairly late in the game and then we keep getting warm spells--up to 60 degrees! One thing that fluctuating temperatures can bring is more colds. At least, I thought that it did. Something to do with your body adjusting to temperature shifts? Maybe? Anyone? Either way, last winter I got a chest infection. How can you tell a virus from an infection (caused by bacteria)? My mom says it's the color of your snot--green signals infection, clear means a cold. Sorry to get so graphic, are you wondering what's the point of all this on a food blog?

Thyme is the point. I had a semi-dry, persistant cough, that I couldn't shake--I figured it for an infection. Then I read about thyme being good for chest ills, so I tried it. Just shoved some in a tea infuser and drank almost 5 cups that day. And it worked, wonderfully so. I've almost been waiting to get another one just so I can drive it away with the antiseptic power of thyme. Thyme contains the essential oil, Thymol, (an active ingredient in Listerine, actually), which is to thank for some of its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. I've heard that it can help in dealing with your average, phlegmy cold, too.

I got mine in bulk at a grocery store (make sure it still has its color and scent), but for the gardener's out there, Kalyn's Kitchen has a good post on freezing fresh herbs for all-year use. Here's wishing you a winter and spring without tissues and coughs, but a mug of thyme tea if you need it.

No comments: